Berman’s Branches
Barbara Hacker Berman
Contents
Towns - Meltnitsa Podolskaya

The earliest known Jewish community was end 18th century, Sadgoskaya, Chortkovskaya Hasidic. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1411. Living here was tsadak Shalom Yosef, son of Gusyatin, tsadak Mordehay-Shragi Fridman. The last known Jewish burial was 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban hillside, reached by turning directly off a public road, is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds site. 21 to 100 stones, most in original location with 50% - 75% stones toppled or broken, date from 1920. Location of any removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains marked mass graves and no known mass graves. Municipality owns property is used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the last ten years. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Cemetery is kitchen garden. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access. Serious threat: vandalism (Part of tombstones was destroyed during World War II.) Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, and existing and proposed nearby development.

Before WWI (c. 1900) Mielnica was part of Galicia / Austro-Hungarian Empire. Between WWI and WWII (c. 1930) Mielnica was part of Poland·
In present day Ukraine, Mel’nytsya-Podil’s’ka is in the Ternopilska Oblast (Region / Province) and in Borshchivskyi Raion (County/ District). Borschiv is the seat of the Borshchivskyi Raion (County/ District).
Mielnica / Mel’nytsya-Podil’s’ka is located on the banks of the Dniester River.

The name literally means "Podolian Mill".

Contact