Berman’s Branches
Barbara Hacker Berman
Contents
Towns - Kaunas

The Feinstein/Harris families from this area.

Kaunas (English pronunciation: /ˈkaʊnəs/; Lithuanian: [kɐˈunɐs] ( listen); see also other names) is the second-largest city in Lithuania and has historically been a leading centre of Lithuanian economic, academic, and cultural life.

Kaunas was the biggest city and the center of a powiat in Trakai Voivodeship of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania since 1413. During Russian Empire occupation it was the capital of Kovno Governorate from 1843 to 1915.

It became the only temporary capital city in Europe during the Interwar period. Now it is the capital of Kaunas County, the seat of the Kaunas city municipality and the Kaunas district municipality. It is also the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Kaunas. Kaunas is located at the confluence of the two largest Lithuanian rivers, the Nemunas and the Neris, and near the Kaunas Reservoir, the largest body of water entirely in Lithuania.

It is now the second largest city in Lithuania. It is the center of Lithuania academic, cultural, and economic life. It is at the confluence of the Neris and Nemaunas Rivers. Between WWI and WWII, there were about 40,000 Jews in the city. It made up about 25% of the total population. On October 25, 1941, the Germans took over the city. They set up the Kaunas Ghetto. Most of the Jews were murdered before the end of the war.

Contact